My book reviews are at another blog: Look-A-Book blog. Check it out!

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Brevity of Life

I woke up this morning and leaped out of bed with full resolve to start my day well by eating a healthy breakfast, having a good time alone with God, and working out with my buddy, Dolvett. 

 Then I felt it.

 The odd beating again in my heart.  I sat down with my mom's stethoscope and listened to the beating of my heart.  Yep, the PVCs.  

I had these back in 2010 and they disappeared in 2012 after working hard on getting active, eating healthy, and generally taking care of myself.  That they should pop up again....where's the dislike button!  

Then it hit me....I'm 59 years old.  I really could be gone in the next 10 years.  Okay, be positive, I told myself and make it 20 years.  10 years! 20 years!

It's odd how that seems like a long time, yet it seems so short.  My next thought was:  only 10 years to study my Bible, to know it, to store in the recesses of my heart.  Only 10 years to make a difference in the lives around me!  Only 10 years to get my house in order (I better clean out my junk drawers) and get rid of ALL the junk in my home.  I don't want my family burdened with MY junk.  Only 10 (Lord, I hope it's way more) years to enjoy my future grandchildren and to know them and have them know me a little.  

I recall to mind how My sovereign Lord is in charge of my life.  Job 14:5 (NLT) says
" You have decided the length of our lives.
     You know how many months we will live, 
      and we are not given a minute longer."

God knows!  The God who keeps the universe in order, the God of the tiny atom and its smaller parts, the God who cares about each detail of my life, the God who loves me perfectly, wisely, graciously, and faithfully.  I could keep adding adjectives here for the next 10 years and it would only scratch the surface of who God is.  So I rejoice in knowing that this life is short and that one day, in God's perfect timing, I will be with Him for eternity because I know Jesus Christ, His Son, who died for my sins, and who rose again and is now interceding on my behalf and is walking with me through each day.  

Jesus Christ is my Saviour, Lord and God.  John 3:16 says, " For God so loved the world that He is his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life".  I believe and trust Jesus Christ as my Saviour.  Do you?  If you don't, won't you ask Him today to be your Saviour?  

No comments:

Post a Comment