My book reviews are at another blog: Look-A-Book blog. Check it out!

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Real Food Week 1 - Fruits and Veggies

I'm glad this 14 week challenge has started on a positive note, to eat more fresh fruit and vegetables, at least two per meal.   I thought it would be a piece of cake (haha) to accomplish this week's goal.  I love fruit and have no trouble meeting my daily requirement of fruit.

However, one take-away from this week's challenge was the realization that I don't really eat a wide variety of quality vegetables on a daily basis.   Yes, I eat a lot of organic spring mix, organic romaine lettuce.  In fact, my family and friends say I make a great salad, all with fresh ingredients.  I like my salads.  But.....there is a vast world of vegetables that I never seem to get around to eating.  Even staples, like broccoli and green beans, aren't making it to my plate enough.

When I signed up for the challenge through the FaceBook site, I discovered a group of local women who were looking for support in cutting out processed food.  One woman told me of an online source for local organic fruit and vegetables.  With a 50% off coupon, I gave the company a try.  In the middle of a raging snowstorm, a beautful box of fruits and veggies arrived at my door.  There were two grapefruit in the box.  Oh my goodness!!! Such sweetness I haven't tasted in grapefruit in a long time.  The organic bananas were fabulous.  The green peppers and romaine lettuce were fresh.  Swiss chard.....tasty!  I'm still eating through the box.



 My husband, bless him, brought home some fabulous green beans at the beginning of week one.  He decided to join Weight Watchers online and is doing his part of helping us eat real food.  He prepared a delicious meal of broiled salmon, roasted potatoes, peppers, onions and asparagus.

So bottom line,  I need to continue working on eating my veggies that aren't salad fixings.

No comments:

Post a Comment