My book reviews are at another blog: Look-A-Book blog. Check it out!

Monday, July 18, 2011

Genesis & Exodus-B90

In this first week of reading, I raced through all of Genesis and Exodus.  Reading through the Bible in 90 days does feel like a race, a long distance cross-country race.  You can't stop and smell the roses along the way because you have to keep the finish line (the whole Bible in 90 days) in sight.  So why read through it so quickly?  Is there any benefit?  I think there is!  Reading the Bible like a regular book helps me see God's big picture of salvation, redemption and his love.  It's like standing back and looking at a masterpiece of art and seeing the grand sweep of the artist's painting.   The closer you walk to the painting the more detail you see but you no longer are able to see the entire painting. Verse-by-verse study of the Bible is like examining the painting with my nose really close to the picture.  I see the paintbrush strokes and the individual pieces of color that make up the entire painting.  I can learn how to paint for myself by looking at the painting up closer.  Scripture study/reading is similar.  I love to camp out in a book or a chapter of Scripture, examining the detail and learning what God wants me to learn from the passage.  Combining both methods of Scripture reading (a big-picture walk-through the Bible, like the 90 day read, with my normal verse-by verse and chapter-by-chapter camping out of the Bible)  allows me to see God in the big picture of life, as well as his day-to-day love for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment