My book reviews are at another blog: Look-A-Book blog. Check it out!

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Read through the Bible in 90 days!

I must be a glutton for punishment.  I tried reading through the Bible in 90 days beginning in January and got behind almost immediately.  What I DID read in January was amazing, exciting, and difficult.  It is a very fast pace.  So here I am again beginning another try at reading through the Bible in 90 days.  I'm a great starter but a lousy finisher.  One thing I have going for me this time around is that I have a mentor this time who can encourage me, cajole me and give me a swift kick to keep pressing on with the reading.
 
If you're interested in joining me and about 1000 other women, go to Mom's Toolbox and sign up; and then let me know.  We can encourage each other.   I like Mom's Toolbox SOAP idea for this read-through. SOAP is an acrostic that stands for Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer. Here is how Amy at Mom's Toolbox describes it:


"S: Scripture-Write the ONE scripture that I feel God is using to speak to me in today’s reading
O: Observation-What might He be telling me with that scripture?
A: Application-How can I apply it to my life?
P: Prayer-What is my prayer to ask God in helping me to make that application?"


Here's my plan: Fortunately, I own a 90-day Bible. I have a journal that I will use to record my daily SOAP, along with a couple highlighters that I can use to highlight verses that are meaningful to me or are verses that I would like to understand better at a later date. They will be easy to find later if I highlight them as I read. Plus I will check in with my mentor group on Mom's Toolbox every Monday night.


I have a Droid Phone and also added the Bible in 90 days on my phone through YouVersion.com's Reading Plan. So, if I get behind, I can always whip out my phone and catch up with the reading...can't highlight or journal (at least I don't know how to do that on my phone), but I can keep saturating myself with the Scriptures. YAY!


Let the reading begin! And to my mentor group, I look forward to experiencing this grand adventure together as we spend time with God in His Word every day for the next 90 days!


2 comments:

  1. i am trying the soap box thing too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki, hanks for dropping into my blog! I'm still a newbie in the world of blog. I hope you keep in touch with me during these next 90 days. We can encourage each other to keep reading! I agree with you about the importance of praying and asking God to keep us on task to complete this adventure.

    ReplyDelete