My book reviews are at another blog: Look-A-Book blog. Check it out!

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Don't tell your goals to others!?

I saw an interesting short video yesterday that basically said that when you share your goals with someone else, you are less likely to achieve your goal.  The speaker said that studies dating back to the 1920s have shown that when you tell someone your goals and they acknowledge them, your mind is tricked  into feeling that it's already done, which makes you less likely to complete your goal.  The speaker said to resist the temptation to share your goal which delays the gratification that the social acknowledgement brings, and to understand that your mind mistakes the talking for the doing.

I really think there's some truth to this, especially the part about the mind being fooled into thinking the goal has been completed, when it hasn't.  So, I guess I shouldn't have posted my 2011 goals the other day.  Oh, well.  I don't think anyone is reading my blog, so I'm safe. So here's my little social experiment.  I will not share this year's goals with anyone outside of this blog and I will look at them at year's end and see if I did better this year by not sharing compared to 2010, when I did share my goals with several good friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment